H.R. 6205 – Protect and Save Act of 2012
Wednesday, February 13th, 2013 @ 11:34PM
H.R. 6205, Protect and Save Act of 2012 introduced in the House on July 26, 2012.
- Has many of the same provisions as Senate Bill 3432.
- Provides for sharing of information between federal and state law enforcement involved in an investigation into Id theft/ tax fraud.
- Creates a liaison between state and local law enforcement and the IRS.
- Provides for a PIN system to prevent theft.
- Requires the Comptroller General to examine the role of debit cards and commercial tax preparation in fraudulent tax returns.
- Places restrictions on the Death Master File to only those persons that the Secretary of Commerce determines has a legitimate fraud prevention interest in the information.
- Authorizes the IRS to disclose certain return information to prison officials to reduce prison tax fraud.
- Provides for the Secretary of the Treasury to review current federal tax laws to determine whether greater information sharing between the IRS and state and local enforcement authorities would improve enforcement.