Council for Citizens Against Government Waste Video: Stolen Identity Refund Fraud (SIRF)
Friday, December 27th, 2013 @ 9:12PM
Council for Citizens Against Government Waste
When: November 12, 2013 at 12:30 Eastern Time.
Where: Capitol Visitors Center SVC 201-00
Each year, countless Americans are defrauded by a growing cabal of sophisticated criminals, who steal the identities of these unsuspecting victims and use their names to submit fraudulent tax returns. Not only are these scam artists getting away with millions at the expense of hard-working legitimate taxpayers, American taxpayers are expected to lose billions over the next five years, according to the IRS.
In two reports released today, the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration revealed that SIRF continues to be a problem:
- Report 1: Detection Has Improved: However, Identity Theft Continues to Result In Billions of Dollars in Potentially Fraudulent Tax Refunds
- Report 2: Case Processing Delays and Account Errors Increased Hardship For Victims of Identity Theft
- Christopher Lee, Senior Attorney, National Taxpayer Advocate
- Steven Toporoff, Division of Privacy and Identity Protection, Bureau of Consumer Protection (Federal Trade Commission)
- Paul Williams, Police Detective, Town of Davie, Florida and victim of Stolen Identity Refund Fraud
- Leslie K. Paige, Vice President, Policy & Communications
Posted by cfegov
Categories: Online articles